4 July 2016
Authentic food news
- Let’s get the celebrations over. Simran Sethi warms up the story of apple pie.
- I refuse to think about Brexit, but I’m glad Martin Parr was at work documenting the threat to some British food.
- The lets-create-a-new-crop story surfaces again, in Western Australia. I’d love to see this happen, but I’m not holding my breath.
- Michael Twitty responds to Cynthia Bertelsen’s “deconstruction” of the myth of Southern cooking with some deconstruction of his own. This one will run and run.
- And to add a little substance, here’s a review of a book about rice in West Africa.
- A website I follow started a series on the transformation of agriculture in India, another story of what Rachel Laudan calls appropriation and imposition.
P.s. This was a bountiful couple of weeks. Supporters on Patreon will be offered four additional morsels. Please consider joining them.