20 February 2017
- A lot of food “waste” is the result of poor after-harvest practices. A cheap, simple moisture meter could reduce losses.
- Despite the off-putting image of a jar of Nutella (do people really like it?) I enjoyed From Napoleon to Nutella: The Birth of the Chocolate-Hazelnut Spread. Also, it pointed me to the chocolate hazelnut history motherlode.
- How about the scarcity of scarcity? The End of Scarcity in Agricultural Commodities Means Failing Farms in the U.S.
- In addition to speaking to me last week, Rachel Laudan’s been thinking about Foodways and Ways of Talking about Food. Stimulating stuff.
- And talking of stimulating stuff, among the usual suspects of Valentine’s day coverage, only one is worth sharing here: the Botanist in the Kitchen on Maca. “Is it more than just an alpine turnip?”