10 August 2015
- Restaurant critics (at least in the UK) cannot be relied upon? Say it isn’t so.
- Once over lightly for the eating habits of old Pompeii. Lemonade? Really? I’m waiting for news on that one.
- Maybe you saw some of the utter tosh about how the evolution of big human brains depended on potatoes? I can guarantee that it didn’t, and a far more interesting possibility is that all those carb-eschewing palaeo-dieters have got it wrong. Here’s a press release about the research.
- More research, on where and when a bitter little gourd started to turn into summer’s perfect expression: watermelon.
- More summer fun: bake stick bread over an open fire. (Worth subscribing to the magazine if you are into bread.)
- Bonus shameless self-promotion. I moaned about fake truffle oil, now I learn that some truffle odours are produced not by the fungus itself but by the bacteria it supports.