29 February 2016
Happy leap day
- I’m in a town I’ve never been to before. Where should I eat? Not any place that rates highly on Yelp, and here’s why.
- In case you missed it, that story about “fake” Parmesan containing wood-pulp. You get what you pay for, although that’s not to say you couldn’t make a perfectly acceptable, wood-free Parmesan-style hard cheese outside Emilio-Reggiano.
- Just as you can probably make an perfectly acceptable, Giera-grape based sparkling wine that isn’t officially Prosecco. In New Zealand, for instance.
- All about emulsifiers, bedrock of so many prepared foods. Possibly more than you want or need to know, but a good companion to …
- … Nostalgia at the stove, Cynthia Bertelsen’s critique of modern food writing.