29 August 2016
Authentic food news
- Huge admiration to Becky Lawton at the British Library, for using the Great British Bake Off to share some delightful medieval observations on bakers and baking.
- A long and thoughtful piece at Civil Eats, on whether selling necessarily means selling out. Can the qualities that drive small-scale suppliers survive a takeover?
- The same question applies to iceberg lettuce, whether you love it, loathe it or can take it or leave it. I wonder, would the opprobrium heaped on iceberg’s crunchy head be applied if it were grown closer to home?
- The Movement to Define Native American Cuisine. Just the one? This isn’t going to end well.
- I’m resurrecting this one – Chemistry of Cast Iron Seasoning: A Science-Based How-To – because it remains important and useful, especially because I seem to be increasingly aware of cast iron around the internet.